Compliments and Complaints


We value your opinion. Whether you are providing feedback, paying a compliment or making a complaint, your input is the key to improving our services. 


We love to recognise the great work that our staff do, and encourage you to send us good news stories of your interactions with Public Trustee staff so they can be acknowledged.  Phone 1300 360 044 or email to get in touch with us.

Resolving complaints

The Public Trustee is committed to ensuring that the services provided to the people of Queensland are relevant and that our clients are satisfied with that service. 

The Public Trustee has a formal policy for dealing with concerns and complaints – see our complaint management policy (PDF, 160 KB) and our Your Complaints Journey.

A primary objective of our Complaints Management Policy is to have any concerns or complaints of clients resolved at the place where the service was delivered to the client.

 The Public Trustee’s Complaints Policy has recently been revised, including to comply with the obligations of public sector entities under the Human Rights Act 2019.

Enabling Complaints

The Public Trustee believes everyone has a right to complain and each complainant should be treated with respect.  Complainants will not be adversely affected because of a complaint made by them or on their behalf.

Our staff will provide reasonable assistance to anyone who asks us to assist them with lodging their complaints via any of our communication channels. 

We accept complaints from our clients and representatives of clients including family members, friends and other people or organisations that act in support of the person. 

Anonymous complaints are welcome; however, identifying details do assist us to investigate and resolve your complaint. 

Do you need an interpreter?

InterpreterIf you need an interpreter call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450 and request to be transferred to the Public Trustee on 1300 360 044.

What to do if you have a complaint

  1. In the first instance, you should contact the officer you have been dealing with. That officer will attempt to resolve your concerns or complaint.
  2. If you are dissatisfied with the response from the officer, you should contact the Regional Manager or the manager of that business unit.
  3. You are encouraged to play an active part in the resolution of your concerns or complaint, by providing as much relevant information as possible to enable us to find a solution to the issue in question.
  4. If you are dissatisfied with the response of the Regional Manager or manager of the business unit, you have a range of options to have your concern or complaint reconsidered:
  • phone our complaints line on 1800 014 536 Monday to Friday 9:00am – 4pm
  • email your complaint to:
  • write to:
  • Complaints Officer
    The Public Trustee
    GPO Box 1449
    BRISBANE QLD  4001 

What happens to your complaint

The Public Trustee takes your complaints seriously and commits to investigating your matter promptly.

Complaints are recorded and assessed to determine the nature of the complaint (and complaint category) and how the complaint will be managed. 

We may contact you for further information to assist us in investigating the complaint and to respond appropriately.  

Generally, complaints are allocated to staff at Manager level or above for investigation and response, to ensure adequate consideration of your concerns. However, dependent on the issue, other relevant staff members who are able to assist may action your complaint.

Your complaint will be acknowledged within 5 business days, and you will be advised of the expected timeframe in which you should receive your reply. 

We use the information and issues raised in your complaints to inform continuous improvement of the services we provide and our procedures.

How long will it take?

We will try to action your complaint as quickly as possible; however, if an issue is more complex we may require more time to undertake a detailed investigation.

As a guide, the maximum timeframes for complaint responses are:

Minor complaint within 5 business days
Moderate complaint within 14 business days
Major complaint within 28 business days
Privacy complaint within 45 business days
Human rights complaint within 45 business days
Progress updates as required

What you can do if your issue is not resolved:

  • You may request an internal reviewof the original decision or of the response to your complaint by the Public Trustee. An internal review will examine the original decision and the internal practices used to reach the decision in light of new information or concerns that you have. If an internal review is approved by The Public Trustee, it will take a minimum of 28 working days.

If you wish to request an internal review, please provide a written request to the Complaints Officer outlining your reasons for requesting the review, the decision you wish to have reviewed and any additional information relevant to the decision. Please direct your letter to:

Complaints Officer
GPO Box 1449
The Public Trustee


If you are not able to put your request in writing, please contact the Complaints Officer on 1800 014 536, Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 4pm, to make other arrangements to record your concerns.

 After consideration of the reasons for your request, The Public Trustee will make a determination as to whether or not an internal review should be conducted. You will be advised whether an internal review will be conducted within 15 working days of receiving your request.

You may make a complaint to the Queensland Ombudsman’s office about the administrative processes of The Public Trustee. The Ombudsman may investigate complaints about the actions and decisions of Queensland public agencies and their staff that may be unlawful, unreasonable, unfair, improperly discriminatory or otherwise wrong.

 If your complaint is not resolved by communicating with The Public Trustee, you can contact the Queensland Ombudsman.  Write to:

Queensland Ombudsman
GPO Box 3314

Telephone: (07) 3005 7000
Toll Free (outside Brisbane): 1800 068 908
Fax: (07) 3005 7067


You may make a complaint to the Queensland Human Rights Commission if you believe our actions or decisions have resulted in a breach of your human rights, have made a complaint to the Public Trustee and not received a response from us within 45 days, or believe our response is inadequate.  You can contact the Queensland Human Rights Commission on 1300 130 670 or via its website:

Personal information about an individual will only be disclosed or used in compliance with all privacy laws and ethical obligations. Please read our privacy statement for more information.



Last published: 3/09/2020 6:16:02 AM