Unclaimed money

Search unclaimed money

How to make a claim for unclaimed money

Lodge unclaimed money


Unclaimed money FAQ

Information for money finders

If you’ve ever changed your name or address, there’s a chance you may have unclaimed money owning to you.

Unclaimed money is money owed to a person, company or organisation that has not been received that after the statutory period of time becomes ‘unclaimed’.

This may be from a business, organisation or from a deceased estate.

Businesses who lose contact with a customer must transfer any money they owe to the Public Trustee for safe keeping.

Searching the register and claiming money

If you think you may have unclaimed money:

  1. Search the unclaimed money register (view search tips)
  2. Submit a claim form for any money owed to you.

Note: The unclaimed money database is updated every Monday.

What funds do we hold?

We hold unclaimed money from the following sources:

  • Queensland Government departments and agencies (including hospitals, correctional centres, statutory authorities etc.)
  • accountable persons as defined under the Public Trustee Act 1978 (people and companies who carry on business in Queensland)
  • solicitors, real estate agents, accountants, nursing homes etc. who operate in Queensland
  • unclaimed wages or salaries for employees engaged under a Queensland State Award.

What we do not hold

  • Dormant bank, building society or credit union accounts
  • Life insurance money
  • Amounts payable to dissenting shareholders
  • Superannuation
  • Rental bond money

Terms and conditions

The unclaimed money information displayed in the register is the property of the Public Trustee.

Database access is provided for the sole purpose of assisting the owners of unclaimed money lodged with the Public Trustee to locate their funds and make a claim for return of those funds.

By accessing this information, the user agrees they will not:

  • use this data for any purpose other than its intended use
  • create copies of, publish or allow others to access the information without first having obtained the Public Trustee’s permission in writing (which may be refused in the absolute discretion of the Public Trustee)
  • knowingly contravene the provisions of any privacy legislation governing the use of information.
Last published: 11/03/2022 12:35:11 AM